Wednesday, February 21, 2007

an anecdote

My nephew was baptized Sunday, and the kids were amazing in church - the ceremony lasted for over an hour, and they didn't make me wish I had never had kids :D

I really want to share an anecdote with you, though :D Towards the end of the sermon, everybody who wanted was invited to join the communion. A quite long queue formed along the aisle, and as the priest got on with his duty, Adrian whispered loudly to me "Mom! He gives out biscuits and juice! Does it cost anything?" "No, " I answered him with a chuckel. "Would you like to try?" He couldn't wait, and set off taking his younger cousin with him. "Where are they going?" My mother asked, with a high pitch tone in her voice. "Oh, they wanted to join in and taste the free food they are giving out here" I answered, finding it quite amusing.

Well, that was that :D My mother, truly in a shocked and annoyed state of mind, more or less ordered me to get the two kids back before doing an act of blasphemy. In order to avoid any unwanted trouble later on ;) , I called the kids back to their seats. Adrian was quite irritated, and asked med why he couldn't try the biscuit, since "all" the others ate them. "We were just told that they are out of biscuits," I told him - with a straight face (lying in church must be a not so good thing, I guess,but it was the best I came up with) But anyway, he settled with that, and I fell into a silent discussion with my mother. I noticed with half an eye that the communion was going towards the end, and that the pianist and the woman who had sung got in line to receive their communion, when my son cried out with great annoyment: "MOM!!! YOU WERE WRONG! THEY HAVE MORE BISQUITS AFTER ALL!!!" Needless to say, we got a bit of attention :D

I found the whole scene quite amusing, but my mother found it very stressful. I can't really see what the blasphemy should be. A curious kid who wants to join in is not blasphemy to me. Neither that I would let him get his curiosity silenced is to me blasphemy. If that was an act of blasphemy, then the whole baptism was an act of blasphemy - neither the parents, nor the godparents, carried out the ceremony because of a strong feeling of faith. And we stood in church and promised to teach the baby about Jesus. Now, what is blasphemy, then? The baptism or the curiosity of a kid? You tell me!

2 comments:

nikoline said...

I. Love. Your. Kids. Fantastic story and you make a fantastic point. (PS. I love you too.)

EvaMS said...

G, thanx! it is good to be understood! smile from E.